1873: First Chinese arrived in Augusta to enlarge the Augusta Canal.
1880: Eight Chinese grocery stores were in operation.
1882: Chinese Exclusion Act prohibits the immigration of Chinese laborers.
1885: First Baptist Church of Augusta established Chinese Sunday School.
1890: Census indicated 41 Chinese in Augusta, 29 grocery stores and 8 laundries.
1926: First meeting place was at 8th and Greene Street.
1927: CCBA chartered on October 26.
1929: Chinese School established with John Lum as teacher.
1930: Augusta Chinese population was 153.
1935: CCBA relocated to 6th & Broad Street.
1939: CCBA purchased property at 548 Walker Street for $2,500.00 and relocated.
1940: Augusta Chinese population was 222; 60 Chinese grocery stores.
- Magnuson Act repeals Chinese Exclusion Act; allows Chinese nationals already in the country to become naturalized citizens; allows a quota of 105 Chinese immigrants per year.
- CCBA sponsored Rice Bowl parade was held on Broad Street to raise money for China war relief.
1944: War Bride Act allowed Chinese women and children to immigrate to US.
1947: Chinese Youth Club of Augusta (CYCA) was formed.
- CCBA Chinese Women’s Club established in Oct, 1948 and Mrs. B.N. Loo was the first President.
- Two Chinese language / culture classes were held at 548 Walker Street on Monday through Friday from 6:00 pm until 9:00 pm. Two dialects were taught. About 20 students ranging in age from first grade to high school were in attendance. Dr Kun Ken Hu was the teacher.
1955: First Orchid Brocade Christmas Dance was organized by chairperson James Woo.
1958: First major building renovation was funded by chop suey dinners.
1959: An educational support group called Abacus Club was formed.
1965: Immigration and Naturalization Act allows large scale Chinese immigration.
1971: The Dragon Club youth group was formed.
- Carpet, central air and heat was installed in the front room of the CCBA Hall.
- There was a 50th Anniversary street festival. Danny Wing was President.
- Bingo funded the kitchen & bathrooms renovations at the CCBA building. Suey Chong Loo was President.
- CCBA Constitution and by-laws were established and Ellen Dong was chairperson.
1988: CCBA funds $10,000 canal exhibit at the Augusta Museum of History. Ralph Wong was President.
- China was the featured country at the Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival; Gary Tom was President.
- The 1st edition of the CCBA cookbook was published; Raymond Rufo was chairperson.
1998: The 1st edition of the CCBA membership directory was published. Lynne Woo was chairperson.
2000: Taste of China fundraiser; Kathy Rufo was chairperson.
2001: CCBA website established. Travis Tom designed the site.
2002: CCBA established Children From China, an adoption support group. Ellen Dong was chairperson.
- The first Meet and Greet reception for Children From China was held in May, 2003.
- China was again the featured country at the Arts in the Heart of Augusta Festival. Gary Tom was President.
2004: CCBA was given the IRS 501- C3 tax exempt status designation. Raymond Rufo was chairperson.
- CCBA established the Children Summer School and Kathy Rufo was chairperson of this committee.
- Children’s Language & Culture Class established with LD Newman as teacher.
2006: CCBA published the 2nd edition of the Cookbook. Kathy Rufo was chairperson.
2008: 2nd edition of the CCBA Member Directory was published with family pictures added. Truman Woo was President.
2009: CCBA purchased 544 Walker St property (old parsonage house). Ray Rufo was chairperson.
2010: CCBA hosted a History Exhibit of CCBA families who settled in Augusta from 1920-1950s. Travis Tom was designer.
- History Exhibit receives the Georgia Historical Records Advisory Board award.
- CCBA presents history exhibit and oral history initiative at the APA History Symposium, National Archives in Atlanta.
- Georgia Humanities Council awards CCBA an oral history grant. Kathryn Rufo was chairperson.
- CCBA received the oral history grant and begins recording oral histories.
- CCBA partnered with Goodwill Industries to host the 1st annual Good Boats Dragon Boat Race and Festival.
- A presentation ceremony of the Oral Histories and Photographic Exhibit was held at the Augusta Richmond County Library (Kathryn Rufo and Travis Tom).
- Demolition of the parsonage home at 544 Walker St was approved by the city. Ray Rufo was chairperson.
- Ray Rufo presented the CCBA community oral history project at the APA Historic Preservation Forum in Los Angeles, CA.
- CCBA letter of Affirmation supporting GRU application for Confucius Institute – Ray Rufo, President
- The 544 Walker St parsonage home was demolished. Ray Rufo was chairperson.
- New floor was added in the front room of CCBA Hall and a concrete storage pad was added in the basement. Ray Rufo was chairperson.
- CCBA received Goodwill’s Community Partner of the Year Award.
- CCBA increased its web and social media presence with a redesigned website and updated content. Also a new CCBA Facebook Page was created and led by Danielle Moores.
- GRU Confucius Institute officially opens. Dr. Ricardo Azziz, GRU President, recognizes the CCBA’s contributions in obtaining the Confucius Institute status.